Greetings from the launch of Bandalang Studio at the Australian National University in Canberra. The Bandalang Studio at the ANU School of Engineering will explore indigenous knowledge systems in innovation, design, research and teaching. I tried the VR headset with Lynette Wallworth's 'Collisions', a 3d immersive film.The Visitors", by Jane Harrison. The point of this is that Bandalang Studio can teach non-indigenous people about how to live with country.
Indigenous engineering design demonstrates a highly sophisticated transdisciplinary systems thinking approach towards solving problems. ...
What is the Bandalang Studio?
Bandalang is a Wiradyuri language name which means ‘joining’ or ‘junction’. The name Bandalang was gifted to the studio by Ngambri (Walgalu), Wallaballooa (Ngunnawal), Wiradyuri (Erambie) custodian, Paul Girrawah House. The name symbolises the spirit of collaboration which is integral to the mission of the ANU Bandalang Studio. The Bandalang Studio is a place in which Indigenous Knowledge and traditional Western practice can collaborate to find sustainable solutions to our future in engineering. ...
Bandalang Studio Founding Principles
The Bandalang Studio is founded on four principles which guide our strategic priorities.
- Principle of Bandalang (Collaboration) bandalang = joining, junction (noun)
- Principle of Wudhagarbinya (Listening ) wudhagarbinya = listen or winhangarra = listen, hear, think or ngattai = listen
- Principle of Dhurinya (Equality) dhurinya = being, continuing to being
- Principle of Gurray (Change) gurray = change or refreshment
The above languages include Walgalu, Wiradyuri, Dhurga and Ngunnawal/Gundungarra.
Bandalang Studio Mission
- platforming Indigenous Knowledge Systems in engineering nationally and internationally
- building Indigenous ways of thinking, being and doing into the ANU School of Engineering course structure, curriculum development and delivery
- fostering interdisciplinary collaboration and partnerships that support Indigenous projects and enterprises
- create life-long learning support pathways for Indigenous students, practitioners and researchers in engineering
- to critically address existing traditions, norms and values in engineering and technology"
From About Bandalang Studio Indigenous Engineering Design, ANU, 2023